Welcome to your first writing assignment for your literary magazine class.
You will receive your first prompt for a 1,000 word story and will read it to your classmates. This can be scary at first, but it is a very important exercise for a variety of reasons.
Sharing your writing will help you:
- push past your comfort zone.
- build confidence.
- bond with your classmates.
- understand you are writing as a staff member, not just as an individual.
The prompts were taken from or paraphrased from the NYC Midnight writing challenges.
I entered some of my stories a contest a few years ago. Here are the two I submitted:
As you write your story, here are a few pointers: (Make sure to click on and read the articles linked below and fill out the corresponding questions).
- Show a snapshot of a story. Do not try to tell a whole plot. You have a limited amount of space, so try to reveal mystery and build suspense instead of trying to over explain.
- Focus on imagery and characterization. Show not tell.
Have fun completing your first assignment!